NEWS

Police arrests armed men that attacked Benue governor Ortom

By Agu Ben

The Nigerian police had said it has arrested some men that allegedly involved in the failed attack on the Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom.

The Acting Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Usman Alkali, announced the arrest on Thursday, May 27, 2021, at a special briefing of State House correspondents at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

“Those who organised and those who pulled the trigger have all been arrested and investigation is ongoing,” Alkali said.

He said investigations so far show that the outcome is contrary to the claims made by the governor.

The Benue State governor in March alleged that gunmen suspected to be herders attacked him on his farm near Tyo-mu, along Makurdi-Gboko Highway of Benue State.

Ortom, who appeared ruffled while speaking to journalists after the foiled attack at the Benue People’s House, Makurdi, said armed militiamen, numbering about 15, advanced quickly towards his convoy with sophisticated weapons but were repelled by his security details.

He said the men, dressed in black, had trailed his convoy from his farm.

Recall that a group, the Fulani Nationality Movement (FUNAM), had reportedly claimed responsibility for the incident.

The group claimed that they came after Ortom because of his  overt opposition against Fulani interest , adding that they acted on behalf of 15 million Fulani in 15 countries.

They further vow to continue to hunt Ortom until he is decisively dealt with, waring that the same fate awaited any one opposed to Fulani freedom in the country.

In a statement by one Umar Amir Shehu, which was published by an online news platform yesterday titled, “why we attacked Ortom”, FUNAM claimed the group acted on behalf of millions of Fulani in 15 countries.

The statement read: “our attention has been drawn to media reports today speculating about who attacked the Governor of Benue State, Samuel Ortom.

Read Also Gov Ortom escapes death as gunmen open fire on his  convoy 

Advertisements

“Yes. Yes We did. The Fulani Nationality Movement, ( FUNAM) carried out the attack. We have genuine reasons. We acted on behalf of millions of Fulani people in 15 countries.

“It’s a case of vengeance against an infidel who has used his time and money, deployed in destroying the Fulani values and inheritance.

“Our courageous fighters carried out this historic attack to send a great message to Ortom and his collaborators: Where ever you are, once you are against Fulani long term interest, we shall get you down. This is a clear warning. We hope those who take us for granted will get the indisputable message.

“Our intention is unequivocal: TO KILL HIM. That mission will one day be fulfilled and very soon too.

“Eleven of FUNAM operatives were involved in the attack. Ortom excaped today because of  a slight technical communication error. Next time, he will not be lucky. We can assure him and his supporters.

“Ortom has been leading the campaign against Fulani interests in the North. We have our operatives in all Southern States. Each will face our sword soon.

Read Also Ortom: I ran 1.5kms to escape gunmen attack

“We warn collaborators working against Fulani people across Nigeria: We shall get you irrespective of your hidden place.”

“We state clearly, any state or individual that opposes RUGA will be confronted. Any State or individual that opposes ranching, we shall get you. Speak against ranching and RUGA even on the internet: Our Noiseless fighters shall find and fix you.

“In the next few months, FUNAM will carry out attacks on strategic human and material assets of States and Non State groups or individuals known for their anti-Fulani campaigns.

“We shall hunt you down in your houses, in your work places, in your car, in your streets. It’s a matter of time.”

Visit our social media handles

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button