NEWSUS News

Miami building collapse update: 16 dead, 147 unaccounted for

By Odira Nwachukwu

Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said  that the death toll from the collapse is now 16.

“We’ve now recovered four additional victims. The number of deceased is at 16,” the mayor said.

She said that 12 next of kin notifications have been completed and that there are four families still waiting to hear.

The mayor said that that the number of accounted for is 139 and the number of unaccounted is 147.

Advertisements

She also clarified how they are organizing the count.

“And to remind you, we were previously including the number of deceased in the accounted for number, but for clarity moving forward we’re separating that. So we have deceased, accounted, and unaccounted.”

What we know so far

  • At least 16 people are dead and 147 people are unaccounted for after a residential building partially collapsed in Surfside, Florida, last Thursday.
  • Search and rescue teams continue to race to locate individuals. Emergency officials are also asking people to call 305-614-1819 if they have relatives who are unaccounted for.
  • The cause of the collapse is still unknown, but a letter sent months before the deadly collapse warned damage to the building was accelerating after a 2018 report raised concerns about structural damage.

Read also 

Visit our youtube channel

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button